Samsung Jet review
Posted by karthikjcecs on December 26, 2009
My recent purchase is samsung Jet s8003 smarter than samtphone handset. Specification wise it looks very good and we can say its value for money. When I started using it, I started feeling that it is missing basic features and those missing features making it unusable and realised why it is priced low to its compitators. It has features to say but not to use. Confused, let me clarify with few examples –
- It has Got wi-fi support but does not have basic authentication protocol like EAP-TLS, cannot connect to office network.
- It has bluetooth but cannot have audio streaming wit a normal handsfree, where as my basic nokia 3500c use to stream audio with the same handsfree.
- It does not have a clipboard, cannot copy paste text seems to be a basic feature missing. Even my nokia 3500 ( priced at 4k) has this copy – paste feature. Being a touch screen and you cannot copy is really shame. Opera mini 5.1 beta helped me to an extent, it has got copy-paste feature, though I cannot paste it outside Opera, I can can save content into my email drafts.
- No customization in phone profiles. Cannot create profiles or set timed profile changes.
- Java app installation is extremely difficult, you need to install some third part application on to you pc and do some circus to install a java app, here is detailed procedure.
- you can copy links using the default browser but you should send the copied link to someone using sms. Yes, if you copy a link, the link get pasted in sms editor and can do nothing than sending it to someone or saving as a text message for yourself.
- It has got some memo widget but it does not get saved as files, i do not know what to do wit those memos.
- It has got some motion recognition stuff which we can never use.
- It cannot even be compared to a smart phone.
- Search in SMS and Email pop3 client is missing.
- Contact search of not inline search. It takes you to the text editor where you need to enter name to search and press “Done”, then it comes back and gives you results.
- Touch screen is not that sensitive at corners of the screen
Few good points:
- Liked camera, it awesome. Good 5mp loaded with shooting modes and modes does work fantastically.
- Signal reception, music player, audio quality are awesome.
- Touch sensitivity is very good, comparable to c type. It acknowledges the touch with a vibration, which is impressive. Also scrolling the list gives an effect of speed of scroll though vibration intensity and interval of vibration. It is really cool feature.
- Display is awesome, gives a really cool effect. Also possible to view in sunlight on setting brightness to max.
- Handwriting recognition is acurate and consistent, though we cannot use it much as it becomes slow compared to typing
- Speed is good, we can feel the power of 800Mhz processor, apps gets initiated at super fast. Also repose time is great.
Bottomline: It is a good multimedia phone but NOT a smart phone