Posted by karthikjcecs on December 31, 2009
In my previous entry I had mentioned few disadvantages of Samsung jet and one was related to “Copy Paste” feature. Few of my friends asked me “why the hell you need that feature, even though we have, never used!!!”. They might not used it because they would have used it as just a phone, but when we try doing other stuffs than just calling and sms, the importance of the feature will be seen. I would like to share couple of experience that happened me.
Scenario 1: Send a mail using inbuilt email Client, the content of the email is there in sent items of gmail.
Soln: If the feature would have been there I could have directly copied content from Gmail app to the editor and sent.
But that is not the case, so I had to follow these steps –
1. Forwarded from Gmail to email account that is configured in phones email client.
2. Again I forwarded from configured email client to the required person. Very bad thing while sending is I had to remove the “Forward headers” character by character ( one hit to delete each char) as we cannot even select some text and say remove ( Also cannot even press and hold backspace, doing so clears whole of your content).
Scenario 2: Deleting a block of text
There is no select block of text and delete. – Can you tell me what is the procedure to delete a block of text?? How can you ask your users to hit backspace 100-1000 times to delete a block of text? Do not you think it is ridiculous to keep pressing backspace 100 to 1000 times which takes few seconds to just delete a block of text. The same thing can be done in few milliseconds it you had a “Select and Delete” option.
I have seen this feature in a very basic handset of Nokia and sony that costs 1/4th the money I have spent for the Samsung Jet.
When it is advertised as “Smarter than Smartphone” we expect that it server at least 70-80 percent of the work that can be done on some other real smart phones. But lacking this feature is a blocker. I cannot even share across applications.
I am fighting with samsung support team to bring into the notice and somehow get this feature in next firmware upgrades, so far I have seen that they are very lazy and almost never replies to emails. Live chat guys are very smart, they just tell you “email your concern to our support team sir. email id is email@example.com ( internal to them, THEY NEVER TURN UP, just write mail and keep waiting !!!! )”
Any comments, suggestions are welcome
Posted in Samsung Jet | 7 Comments »
Posted by karthikjcecs on December 26, 2009
My recent purchase is samsung Jet s8003 smarter than samtphone handset. Specification wise it looks very good and we can say its value for money. When I started using it, I started feeling that it is missing basic features and those missing features making it unusable and realised why it is priced low to its compitators. It has features to say but not to use. Confused, let me clarify with few examples –
- It has Got wi-fi support but does not have basic authentication protocol like EAP-TLS, cannot connect to office network.
- It has bluetooth but cannot have audio streaming wit a normal handsfree, where as my basic nokia 3500c use to stream audio with the same handsfree.
- It does not have a clipboard, cannot copy paste text seems to be a basic feature missing. Even my nokia 3500 ( priced at 4k) has this copy – paste feature. Being a touch screen and you cannot copy is really shame. Opera mini 5.1 beta helped me to an extent, it has got copy-paste feature, though I cannot paste it outside Opera, I can can save content into my email drafts.
- No customization in phone profiles. Cannot create profiles or set timed profile changes.
- Java app installation is extremely difficult, you need to install some third part application on to you pc and do some circus to install a java app, here is detailed procedure.
- you can copy links using the default browser but you should send the copied link to someone using sms. Yes, if you copy a link, the link get pasted in sms editor and can do nothing than sending it to someone or saving as a text message for yourself.
- It has got some memo widget but it does not get saved as files, i do not know what to do wit those memos.
- It has got some motion recognition stuff which we can never use.
- It cannot even be compared to a smart phone.
- Search in SMS and Email pop3 client is missing.
- Contact search of not inline search. It takes you to the text editor where you need to enter name to search and press “Done”, then it comes back and gives you results.
- Touch screen is not that sensitive at corners of the screen
Few good points:
- Liked camera, it awesome. Good 5mp loaded with shooting modes and modes does work fantastically.
- Signal reception, music player, audio quality are awesome.
- Touch sensitivity is very good, comparable to c type. It acknowledges the touch with a vibration, which is impressive. Also scrolling the list gives an effect of speed of scroll though vibration intensity and interval of vibration. It is really cool feature.
- Display is awesome, gives a really cool effect. Also possible to view in sunlight on setting brightness to max.
- Handwriting recognition is acurate and consistent, though we cannot use it much as it becomes slow compared to typing
- Speed is good, we can feel the power of 800Mhz processor, apps gets initiated at super fast. Also repose time is great.
Bottomline: It is a good multimedia phone but NOT a smart phone
Posted in purchase, Samsung Jet | Tagged: jet, mobile, purchase, samsung, smart phone | 7 Comments »